Up to 12 stipends of $3,000 each are available for fall semester 2020 for graduate students completing work at the dissertation level in the arts, humanities and social sciences.
The purpose of the stipends is to facilitate the transition from coursework and accelerate the process of writing the dissertation by bringing together students for discussion of one another’s work as well as questions of method and purpose raised by humanistic scholarship generally.
- By the beginning of fall semester fellows are expected to have completed a chapter of the dissertation that will be suitable for circulation and discussion among seminar participants.
- During the fall semester they will participate in an interdisciplinary seminar, which will meet for two hours each Tuesday evening. They will present their work in progress once during the semester and will read and discuss the work of fellow participants as well as a moderate number of ancillary readings that raise larger questions about the aims and methods common to scholars doing humanistic research.
Applicants should be at an early stage of work on the dissertation at CWRU. They must have passed qualifying exams and completed the prospectus so that they can give full attention to writing and research. Most typically they will be working in humanities or social science departments, but students in other departments of the College are also welcome to apply.
Successful applicants must be able to attend two initial organizational meetings to be scheduled in April or May.
- The application deadline is April 15, 2020.
- Email a single PDF document that includes a current CV, a copy of the dissertation prospectus, and a statement of up to 1,000 words describing the dissertation (including its projected scholarly contribution and progress made on it to date) and explaining how the applicant hopes to profit from and contribute to the seminar.
- A letter of endorsement from the department chair or graduate/dissertation advisor is also required and should be emailed directly by the application deadline to email@example.com.