As the days get shorter and the sun sets earlier, it becomes even more important to take safety precautions on campus.
First and foremost: Pay attention to your surroundings.
This includes, as always, avoiding becoming engrossed in your phone or wearing headphones that obscure outside sounds. But it also means ensuring you are paying attention to vehicular traffic, as drivers may be less likely to see pedestrians in the dark.
Other tips for walking/running in the dark:
- Only cross the street—especially in high-traffic areas—at designated crosswalks;
- Stay on lighted streets, paths and sidewalks;
- Follow all traffic signals;
- Wear active light or lighted gear, especially if exercising (note: glass bead technology is helpful but may not work in all settings); and
- Walk in groups when possible—remember, there’s safety in numbers—as drivers may more easily see groups than individuals. If others are not available to walk with you, you can always request a free public safety walking escort by calling 216.368.3300.
In addition, no matter the time of day, it’s important to:
- Have the emergency number for CWRU police (one of five departments that have jurisdiction of some part of our campus)—216.368.3333—programmed into your phone;
- Take one of the free shuttles that operate on campus, in University Circle and the surrounding areas from early morning until as late as 3 a.m.;
- If shuttles are unavailable on your route, you can call Safe Ride, the free after-hours service that transports members of the campus community within University Circle from 6 p.m. to 3 a.m.; and
- Know that there are 340 blue light phones—including 40 towers—across campus that connect to the university’s 24-hour Communications Center with the push of a button.
Finally, all members of the campus community should be sure to download the Rave Guardian app, which gives you instant connection to campus security, allows you to alert friends and loved ones of your walks and when you arrive at your destination, and provides quick access to Safe Ride and shuttle services. And remember: While you automatically receive Rave emails and/or calls to campus phones, you also can sign up for alerts via text and cell phones. Visit getrave.com/login/cwru to update your account.