Using a CWRU vehicle or renting one on behalf of the university? Here’s what to know about insurance

As of Dec. 1, 2023, the university became self-insured for its vehicle insurance. This includes coverage for Case Western Reserve University vehicles, as well as vehicles rented on behalf of the university. 

The State of Ohio has issued a Certificate of Self Insurance (certificate) to CWRU that documents vehicle insurance coverage, which is required in the State of Ohio. Departments that have vehicles have been provided with certificates so that they can be placed in the glove compartments of all university vehicles. 

When renting a vehicle for university business, faculty, staff and students also need to obtain the certificate for proof of insurance. They should contact the Office of Risk Management and Insurance to request a copy of the certificate. 

For more information, contact Laura Corrigan at or Dina Leinweber at