Alyssa Payton, professional consultant and IRS certified tax e-file provider, will host a lecture on “Understanding the Basics of U.S. Income Tax” on Monday, March 16, from 3 to 4:30 p.m. at the Wolstein Auditorium.
During her lecture, Payton will discuss the fundamental rules and principles of income tax laws in order to help attendees develop a better understanding of U.S. income tax policy. Payton’s lecture will cover the following topics:
- Benefits and requirements of filing taxes
- The difference between W-4 & W-2 forms
- Individual filing statuses
- Social Security Number vs. ITIN
- Income tax credit vs. deduction
- How and where to file taxes
The session is free and is intended for CWRU graduate students and postdoctoral and international researchers, but all members of the community are welcome to attend. The event is co-sponsored by CWRU’s Office of Postdoctoral Affairs, Office of Graduate Student Life, and the Graduate Studies Professional Development Center.