For the first time, the Jack, Joseph and Morton Mandel School of Applied Social Sciences is offering summer undergraduate classes. Whether you are looking to lighten your course load for the fall semester, finish some prerequisites, or simply learn something new, consider rounding out your curriculum with a class in social work. The perspectives gained through social work and nonprofit education will enhance your understanding of social justice, giving you an edge in the job market or in the next step of your educational path.
For more than 100 years, the Mandel School has educated leaders who inspire hope and shape the future. Our undergraduate courses bring students the rich content of our graduate school, a top-10 nationally-ranked school of social work and nonprofit management.
Summer Course Offerings
4-Week Sessions | July 6–August 2 | 1 Credit Hour
- SASS 350: Cannabis: Craze and Science
- SASS 350: Examining Implicit Bias and Everyday Language as Drivers of Racism: From Awareness Toward Racial Honesty
- SASS 350: Rethinking Youth Justice
- SASS 350: Social Data Analysis and Racism, Then and Now
- SASS 350: Social Work Practice in the Foster Care System
5-Week Sessions | June 1–July 2 | 3 Credit Hours
- SASS 284: Oppression and Privilege in a Multicultural Society
- SASS 315: Adoption Practice and Policy
- SASS 318: Death, Grief and Loss
- SASS 355: Drugs and Youth
- SASS 367: Poverty, Wealth Building and Social Entrepreneurship
- SASS 368: Whatever it Takes: Creating Paths Out of Poverty for Children
- SASS 369: Social Networking and Community Organizing in the 21st Century
- SASS 390: Independent Study for Undergraduates
The Mandel School offers several undergraduate opportunities—combined graduate study to save you time and money, a social work minor so you can better understand the field, and study abroad courses, open to all CWRU students post-pandemic.
There has never been a more relevant time for social work education, to learn to achieve peaceful and progressive change. Enhance your understanding of the social forces at play in the United States and around the world by signing up for a social work course this summer.