The Office of First-Year Experience and Family Programs (FYEFP) announced the winners of its annual orientation awards, presented to orientation leaders who go above and beyond their roles and responsibilities to truly understand, address and advocate for new students and their families. These award recipients demonstrate care and commitment beyond orientation.
The recipients are:
- Excellence in Leading International Students: Christina Wong, a junior biology and psychology major from Cupertino, Calif.
- Excellence in Leading Adventure Students: Mary Clare Flaherty, a sophomore biomedical engineering and classics major from La Grange Park, Ill.
- Excellence in Leading Parent and Family Members: Anton Spencer, a senior biomedical engineering and music performance major from Chevy Chase, Md.
- Orientation Leader Rookie of the Year: Will Oldham, a sophomore computer science and English major from Lexington, Ky.
- Orientation Leader Veteran of the Year: Tim Nevin, a senior biomedical engineering major from Towson, Md.
In addition, FYEFP honored the recipient of the inaugural Campus Partner of the Year award: the Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, and Transgender (LGBT) Center. This award is given to a campus partner who works closely with the office to provide exceptional education and support to new students and families during the orientation experience.
In 2014, the LGBT Center expanded its usual orientation programming to provide a more extensive variety and scope to support new students, parents and families. The LGBT Center enabled FYEFP to fulfill important aspects of the orientation mission in equipping new students to navigate the policies, procedures and resources of their living and learning environments; cultivating an inclusive environment that celebrates the diversity of our institution; and encouraging new students to explore the history, traditions and values of the campus community.