Stepping onto campus for the first time as a Case Western Reserve University student is exciting as you consider your future, what knowledge you will gain here and who you will form friendships with along the way.
But there are plenty of uncertainties, too. Even the most basic everyday activities—such as grabbing a bite to eat or doing your laundry—will look different from your life at home. To help you find your footing, The Daily teamed up with some of the university’s orientation leaders to hear their advice on what new Spartans should know. Each day this week, we’ll share some of their tips to help you feel more prepared as classes start next week.
Today’s advice: Make note of the locations on and around campus that accept meal swipes and/or CaseCash.
Whether the regular dining halls are closed or you’re just craving a certain type of cuisine, our orientation leaders know it’s nice to have dining options. Their advice? Consider checking out some of the locations on or near campus that accept meal swipes or CaseCash.
Orientation leaders’ favorite spots include:
- HEC Café and HEC Press & Bakery: Breakfast, lunch and “anytime” offerings are available at this location in the Samson Pavilion at the Health Education Campus. For breakfast, sandwiches, pancakes, eggs, bacon, sausage and potatoes are on the menu, while pizza, bowls, sandwiches, a salad bar and a variety of sides can be ordered for lunch.
- Tomlinson Marketplace: Grab a sandwich, chips and a cookie from Subway, tacos and chips, or a bowl with one of four protein options, veggies and a side of fruit at this location on Case Quad. Each meal also comes with a drink.
- The Den by Denny’s: You can get breakfast all day at The Den in addition to several other meal combos, such as chicken tenders, black bean quinoa wraps, turkey BLTs and more.
- Dunkin’: Located in Uptown in the University Bookstore, Dunkin’ offers your choice of sandwiches, sides and beverages. Sandwich options include veggie egg white; bacon, egg and cheese; sausage, egg and cheese; turkey sausage; and more. Choose between hashbrowns or a doughnut for a side.
- Tinkham Veale University Center: Four locations in the food court area of Tinkham Veale University Center accept meal swipes: Melt University (grilled cheese, soups or salads), Pinzas/8Twenty6 (pizza, made-to-order pasta, hoagies or salads), and Miso (chicken or tofú entrées and chicken or tofú miso bowls). Each meal comes with a fountain drink.
- The Jolly Scholar: A once-a-week variety option for students, The Jolly Scholar menu features items such as pizza, milkshakes, soup, appetizers and more.
- Rough Rider: Another once-a-week variety option, Rough Rider’s menu includes such options as crispy tenders, pulled pork sandwiches, cheese quesadillas and more.
When asked what meals would top their lists, our orientation leaders recommend The Den by Denny’s, followed by The Jolly Scholar and Dunkin’. Get more details about locations to use your meal swipes (PDF).
If you have CaseCash, your options open up even more, with several locations near campus that accept it as payment. Some offerings include Bibibop, Chipotle, BurgerIM, Panera Bread, Kantina (Kosher), Potbelly and Tacologist. Check the full list of places that accept CaseCash.
Learn more about your options with a meal plan.
Hear what other advice Douglas Gurdak has for new students.