CWRU sets enrollment records, welcomes most diverse, academically accomplished class in history

President Barbara R. Snyder announced today that the first-year students who arrive this fall will be part of Case Western Reserve’s largest, most diverse and most academically accomplished class in history.

Based on deposits as of May 1, the university expects to enroll at least 1,350 students—about 180 more than the previous record class, which enrolled in 2005. More than 12 percent come from underrepresented minority groups. Finally, the group that arrives in August will have SAT scores at the 25th and 75th percentiles of 1280 and 1450. A perfect score for the SAT critical reading and math portions is 1600.

“These results are a credit to our faculty, staff, alumni and current students, all of whom came together to show young people and their parents what an extraordinary place Case Western Reserve is,” President Snyder said. “We have a great story to tell, and each year we have done a more effective job of conveying it to prospective students.”

Provost W.A. “Bud” Baeslack III emphasized that the university has sufficient housing to accommodate these incoming students and will have ample sections of courses available for first-year students when they register later this summer. The provost emphasized that his office will provide additional resources to academic units to meet increased curricular demands and also to provide the class additional enrichment opportunities.

“This is a special group of young people,” Baeslack said. “We want to make their first-year experiences as positive as possible.”

When she arrived in 2007, President Snyder made enhancing the academic quality of the undergraduate student body one of the university’s top priorities. The effort began with enhancing the admissions and financial aid infrastructure, which in turn led to steady growth in academic qualifications, diversity and international enrollment during the first few years.

In 2010, those efforts ramped up considerably after the arrival of Richard W. Bischoff as the university’s vice president for enrollment management. Drawing on admissions experience at the prestigious California Institute of Technology (Caltech) and the University of Chicago, Bischoff dramatically increased admissions visits to high schools and personalized outreach to students earlier in their academic careers. Last year, applications climbed nearly 45 percent, growth that drew national attention from places like The New York Times and The Huffington Post.

This year more than 2,000 families participated in campus visits, and admitted student open houses alone saw an 80 percent increase in attendance. While the crowds occasionally strained parking and traffic, the campus community welcomed them with enthusiasm—as did neighbors throughout University Circle.

“The people of this region proved to be wonderful partners in helping us persuade the many of the nation’s top students to choose Case Western Reserve,” President Snyder said.

The class that entered in 2007 had an SAT range at the 25th and 75th percentile of 1200 – 1410, which means this year’s entering class posted gains of 80 and 40 points at the respective levels. In addition, 66 percent of the group that entered five years ago were in the top 10 percent of their high school classes. This year’s entering university class claims 74 percent in that category.

The class also is more geographically diverse. Nearly three quarters of the students who arrive in August will come from out of state. In 2007, that figure was about half. In addition, about 80 students will come to Cleveland from other countries.

33 Comments

1. Chuck

05/04/2012

Ample housing, sure. Ample room in Leutner? Absolutely not. Glad I’ll be graduating soon, it’s annoying enough as crowded as it gets now.

2. Kellie

05/04/2012

Can’t wait for the new incoming freshmen class! Go Case!

3. Gabe

05/04/2012

Yeah, I have to agree with Chuck. I’m also not jealous of whoever gets to plan orientation.

4. William C. Ferry

05/05/2012

Case Western Reserve is a very special place. Nobody comes to CWRU for fashion, or for parties, or for style. They come here for substance. They come here to be changed. To be made different. Better. There is a difference between the hundreds upon hundreds of regular schools and the one and only Case Western Reserve. Welcome to the next entering class … I can’t wait to see what you do for the world …

5. Eric

05/06/2012

Ample housing? NOT.
    Why must current freshmen who chose to live in Clarke Tower next year get kicked out to Southern Residential Village when clearly it is Case’s fault for screwing up and accepting more students than they can house?!
    If all this school cares about is setting enrollment records and getting higher rankings while ignoring the quality of student-living, then I certainly do not look forward to my coming years studying here.
    It’s great that so many acceptees decided to enroll at Case but that does not at all mean that you can do whatever you want with the sophomores on Northside; we chose here over Southside for a freaking reason! And I don’t understand what’s the big deal about having all the freshmen living on Northside. I know plenty of schools out there, such as Ohio State and Northwestern, that let their first-year students live wherever they want across campus, not to mention President Snyder came from Ohio State.
    Sorry for the harsh words but I did not pay $50,000+ a year for your piece-of-crap service.

6. Matt

05/07/2012

They may need to build another dining hall…

7. Chad Fusco

05/07/2012

Eric, your complaints are painfully self-centered and petty. Boo-hoo for you. You have to live on southside next year (which is closer to the main quad). Before you know it, The Village will be available to you anyway (not to mention all of the great cheap off-campus options which are just as close to campus center). I attended CWRU to get a great education. Not sure where your priorities lay.

8. Andrew

05/09/2012

I am in agreement with Eric. We are paying $50K+ for this place, a rate which is only going UP, and yet they still show an utter disregard for us who wanted to live on Northside. I personally chose to live in Clarke because it was closer to most of my classes. I attended CWRU to get a great education and be treated fairly, not to be cast aside for a larger, more profit-generating class. I feel mistreated. Sorry Chad, but you really didn’t do anything to negate what Eric said. Our priorities lie with getting good service for our money, not what Eric correctly described it as.

9. Keniece Gray

05/09/2012

I am one of the incoming freshman. It’s nice to read actual student input. From your comments, it’s clear there are mixed feelings about what was stated in the article. Hopefully us freshman won’t cause too much of a stir with the other classes. :)

10. Chad Fusco

05/09/2012

Andrew, I consider “good service” to be strongly centered around a quality education. Case delivered on that for me. I’m sorry you need more than that. When I was applying to jobs after graduation, where I lived on campus my sophomore year (Staley) didn’t make any difference to employers. It also didn’t change the lifelong friendships I’ve made, and the professional network I gained. But, those are my priorities. Personally, I feel this incoming class will do alot to further Case.

On a side note, Case hasn’t made promises to any incoming students about north vs. south side living location.

11. Deb Eriksen

05/10/2012

My wonderful daughter is a part of this record-breaking freshman class. I am confident that she will be a very serious student, ready to learn, grow, and contribute!! Upper classmen need to remember that the more students wanting to attend only shows how wonderful their school is. Housing is temporary- years go by like days – and what matters in the end is the very prestigious degree you will have earned on graduation day! I urge those that are complaining to focus on what is really important. I am a parent that will be footing 1/2 the tuition for my daughter, and will do so willingly and unbegrudingly no matter where they house her! It is the high quality of programs, faculty, and overall environment that makes Case Western what it is – a shining star in the world of upper education!
    Welcome the new freshman class – I am very happy my daughter is one of them! :)

12. It was a great time for me. I went to classes with many brilliant minds including Craig Newmark (also ’75 and ’77) as well as meeting my future wife Carol Savits (WRC ’76). We are now married 32 years!

13. Eric and Andrew; Your complaint about having to live on the south side is noted. Back in the 70’s many of my friends and classmates lived on the south side (old Case side) and chose to stay there despite plenty of vacant dorm rooms on the north side (old Western Reserve side). I realize that the north side is more vibrant now than the 70’s but instead of just complaining, what is your solution?

Keep in mind that it would be difficult for Case to turn away the additional quality incoming students when it has a once in a generation chance to really grow and use the additional funds to build additional facilities such as another north side dining hall and additional north side dormitories.

14. Andrew

05/10/2012

I just talked to housing — ALL sophomore living in Clarke will be moved to Southside.

The fact of the matter is that case knew how many students they could house under their current system, and they knew how many students they would have to accept in order to keep the status quo. Instead, for profits, they accepted many more students then they can comfortably house, and are instead choosing to prioritize the class that will pay 4 years of tuition than the class that will pay 3.

The problem was accepting as many students as they did, for a reason I cannot see outside of higher profits. I understand you people wanting to defend your institution/Alma mater, but you must understand how it feels to be the group of students directly effect by the university’s actions.

And Deb, if your student had signed up for housing in March, only to be told during her Spring Finals that due to the Housing office being told to prioritize the incoming class over her, in all likelihood because that class has more profit-creating potential, how would you feel. My parents, who are facing increased tuition payments, and myself are both incredibly upset, and I would find it hard to believe you would not be if you were in my situation.

15. Andy Morrison

05/13/2012

Andrew, I’m not sure if you understand how difficult and uncertain the admissions process can be for a college. Sure, the college has total control over how many people they accept, but they have pretty much NO control over how many ENROLL. It’s a gamble; totally uncertain. All the admissions team has to work with is statistics from past years. And it isn’t as simple as accepting the same number of students that they accepted last year; what if this year’s applicants are unusually well-qualified? How likely are those students to actually enroll? How many should they accept? How many “average” students, who are more likely to enroll, have applied this year, and how many should be admitted? Is it a good idea to accept a smaller number of lesser-qualified applicants this year, and thus try to be more selective?… etc.

So sure, CWRU seems to have made a bit of a mistake; the university accepted a certain number of students, hoping / expecting only like 1150 or so would actually enroll. This was simply an inaccurate judgement, not a profit-driven conspiracy against current students.

It’s also interesting to note that the National Center for Education Statistics, which is run by the federal government, classifies CWRU as “not-for-profit.” Plus, if CWRU wanted nothing but profit, then why would they give out scholarships and grants? And why would they care about research? There are indeed for-profit colleges out there, but CWRU is not one of them.

Finally, note that CWRU promises a certain “first-year experience” which is defined by living in the themed residential “colleges” in the north residential village. I am guessing this is why CWRU has gone out of its way to house all first-year students in the north village; they want all the first-year students to share in this experience together, which CWRU considers important to the CWRU educational experience. You were a first-year student. You had your chance to experience this. Now I think it’s fair that the class of 2016 gets the same chance.

As an incoming CWRU freshman for this fall, I appreciate the housing sacrifice you have had to make. However, I wish you would be a little less negative. This incoming class shows that your university is an up-and-coming university. Sometimes life throws you a curve ball so to speak, but this seems like a situation for you to take the good with the bad.

16. Matt

05/14/2012

For the entire housing situation: I was originally in Clarke and am now being moved to southside (obviously, as stated above).

What angers me is the fact that they’re probably going to break up suites that were long-established or (mine planned since November) for this upcoming class. As for the people that are saying, “you go to college to get an education” — the people you choose to live with, especially the people in your suite, pretty much determines whether or not you’re able to study or not and get that education that I pay $50,000+/year to get.

For example, the people who I was originally suiting with are all study-driven students (such as myself), who are all taking the same classes that I’m taking, and see the importance of studying to get the best GPA you can get. We had plans of effectively studying for tests together (in the comfort of our own suite and common living spaces). Given this change, the possibility is definitely there to now be suited with people who come back to the dorms drunk at 2 in the morning each night as I’m trying to sleep/study. It’s unacceptable and wrong.

One last note, to counter that “go to the library to study” argument that someone will probably make: I would love to go there, but unfortunately, I now need to walk 20 minutes to get there or take a Greenie — which is an inconvenience that the freshmen don’t need to go through.

17. Oenaphile

05/14/2012

My guess for the reason they accepted so many students is the yield. The reason for the increase number of students applying at CWRU is that students in general are applying at many more schools than they used to. Schools always offer admission to far more students than they can possibly admit as many of those students will choose to attend elsewhere. The number of students who accept admission/the number of students offered admission is the yield. Having a greater number of applicants can complicate the figuring out how many to accept. To Case’s credit more students chose to attend than I am guessing they calculated. Congrats Case and good luck freshmen.

18. Michael

05/15/2012

Class of 2016 and 2015, feel free to correct me — but unlike last year, this year’s acceptance letters came with the full financial aid award. Case had a much higher than predicted matriculation rate for the Class of 2016, and a lower matriculation rate for the class of 2015.

19. Andy M

05/15/2012

I agree with Oenaphile. I’ve often imagined that the college admissions process is difficult for the college. Choosing how many people to admit might be under their full control, but judging how many will actually enroll? That must be difficult, especially in years when the college is getting much more applications than before.

I feel confident in CWRU and I trust their intentions because the National Center for Education Statistics lists CWRU as not-for-profit just like most other reputable private colleges. I think it’s really exciting that it’s such an up-and-coming university.

20. Zach Kisor

05/16/2012

What is a good ACT score to get into Case?

• thedaily

05/16/2012

Hey Zach! We look for ACT scores between 28-32. Let us know if you have more questions!

21. Roman Melnyk

05/18/2012

During the academic year of 1975-1976, CWRU announced that several dorms were to be closed on the North-side and all Western Reserve College freshman would need to live on the South-side dorms the following year. I remember the uproar and protests this caused. The response from the then university president was: “Learning is suffering.” My friends and I joined North-side frats and suffered not. Funny how history repeats itself.

Ten years from now, this housing decision will not matter to you in the least. Look for the advantages in any situation, because there almost always are a number of them present. If you dwell on the disadvantages, you will surely miss out.

Enjoy your time at CWRU.

22. Lauren

05/21/2012

I definitely chose Case for its academics and not for the quality of housing. However, just because academics are the most important does not mean that living situations don’t matter, especially when paying over $10,000 for room and board. It bothers me that I chose a $50,000+ a year university and my quality of living can so blatantly be disregarded for a class one year behind me. While living off campus is an option for juniors and seniors, let’s not pretend like it’s such an easy task to find affordable, not already taken, housing during the year, especially if more people will be looking for it.

Overall, I find Case’s approach to becoming a higher ranked university is the wrong one for its current and future students. They should focus on making better courses and finding better professors rather than cramming as many students into the university as they can.

23. Andy M

05/25/2012

I don’t think this unusually large class is an attempt by CWRU to become a higher-ranked university; I think this was an honest misjudgement by the admissions team. I bet they didn’t realize so many people would want to attend CWRU this year. And I bet they will correct for this next year, maybe by accepting fewer students. Which means CWRU is becoming even more prestigious.

Or, in other words, the large incoming class was not an attempt to strengthen the university’s reputation; it was a result of the university’s reputation being strengthened in recent years.

24. momoffreshman

05/31/2012

Does anyone know the latest admittance rates for class of 2016? Since several websites have different admission rates for CWRU, I’d like to know the official one from Case. Also what was their yield? It seems the numbers are changing every year and different college websites have inconsistent #’s.

25. Kari

06/04/2012

I have to say, I feel it’s petty to fight over housing. I feel that the education is the most important thing at Case, and everything else like housing and dining is extra but NOT as important. I’ll be at Case this fall (Class of 2016!) and yeah having the room I would like is nice, but I get the same education either way.

I agree with you, Andy M, that this overflow of students was a result of a rise in Case’ prestige–it got me here.

26. Rachel

06/06/2012

I was one of the sophomores who got kicked out of Clarke tower. I won’t disagree to the decision case made to put the overflow of freshman in Clarke because freshman shouldn’t be split up on two sides of campus. At the beginning of the of their first college year, all freshman have is other freshman and that would be detrimental to split and isolate them. However, they should have given the option to the sophomores living in Clarke an opportunity to still live on north side, whether it be the village or the upperclassman apartments on 115th- If not one of those, then the ability to live on off-campus housing and find an apartment on north side for ourselves. We chose north side for a reason. The fact of the matter is, we already signed up and declared our living arrangements. We started this process in January and got it confirmed nearly a month before we were notified we were being kicked out. Case next year is really building up north side. They are adding a new bookstore, a grocery market, and a CHIPOTLE. My roommates and I wanted to live on north side. They should have made an exception for us this year on the fault of their error.

27. Wow.

06/21/2012

Living on the south side has advantages too. Little Italy is great and a new rapid station will give you quick access to down town.

Be adaptable and have fun.

It is an attitude that will give you a great advantage in life.

28. Aruna Singh

07/08/2012

I was so angry when I got kicked out of Clarke. South Residential Village is a shady area and my car will be parked way too far away from my dorm room. For those of us that got kicked out after happily confirming our rooms in north residential village months earlier, arguing about housing isn’t petty at all.

We are the ones who were pushed to the side and forced out. Obviously no one else is complaining because they want to live on South side. I am certain that the quality of my living arrangements will affect my education regardless of what anyone else may think. Since all of my classes are in Weatherhead, I have no need for the main quad. Yet, I have to walk through every day just to spend the day in a building on the North Side. And now I am living with groups of people that I do not know. I already did that last year and definitely rather not do it again!

I know people have suffered through much worse things in life, but they definitely don’t have to pay extra for it. What irks me the most is that Case has kicked sophomores out of Clarke and have forced us to pay extra for housing elsewhere. What is this!?

I have consulted with housing for other options, but they claim we are not allowed to seek off-campus housing or pay extra to live in the Village. People forget that aside from offering education, that schools are large-scale businesses. If I am a 2nd year student (or in other words, a dedicated customer), then I should get what I pay for. If I am not going to get anything close to what I pay $12k for, then why should I even pay?

Put yourselves in the place of a paying customer. If you can afford a place that you want to live in and were confirmed that you could live there, and then all of a sudden, without full explanation or options, that was taken away from you, how would you feel? Of course we still are forced to make the best out of the situation, but I am going to speak out so people like me are compensated. Also, this should never happen again.

29. CAD...

08/21/2012

I sympathize with these students..No one likes getting “bumped” -Regardless of why. Everyone matters, and should be respected. I would think if the residence was confirmed, they should not go back on their word. I would think they could have asked for cooperation, voluntary change of residence while offering some sort of compensation. Perhaps there are many freshmen who don’t mind where their housing in …as much as just wanting to get adjusted to overall campus life, and look forward to the excellent education that awaits.
    Either way…There are brilliant minds here, in all classes and faculty, no one should feel their rights are worth less than anothers. There could have been some compromise. It seems all schools want to be more diverse, yet it is ironic that Classes are stl very separate.

30. I can understand the anxiety of the sophomores who were switched from north to south side of campus. Such a change can be a stressful situation. Unfortunately life is full of the unexpected. Hopefully this can be a learning opportunity which in the end turns out well. I do believe, though, that it is important to have all the freshmen able to participate fully in the first year experience(as did the switched sophomores). I don’t for a second believe CWRU purposely admitted more students than they could handle(and am not sure that this occurred as there IS housing available for all students in need). However I do believe they got a more positive response to their acceptances than perhaps they thought they would get. This is a good thing for the University, Cleveland-AND all the students who will be receiving degrees from CWRU.
    I was a transfer student back in the 80’s and was assigned a room in what was then a hotel off campus. I, unfortunately, chose to live at home as an undergraduate and missed out on much of the friendships that grow during college-North, South, or anywhere else. It is not so much the building/s but rather the community which you are apart of that creates the wonderful bonds and comradery that college students enjoy.
    I am thrilled to see that Case is growing in a very positive direction, and it’s reputation finally seems to be joining the top tier of prestigious schools-as it’s academic rigor always has been.

31. Angela CAS '10

07/10/2013

It’s always good to hear that the University is getting better and better. Way to go, CWRU!

32. Jack Foster

08/22/2013

Talk about being petty, I graduated in 1964 and am ticked when I hear you talking about Case. They were the guys that we beat the crap out of in the annual first snow snowball fight. They didn’t come to us on the “northside”, as was traditional, so we went to them on the “southside”. Even then they wouldn’t come out to play. I don’t remember being given any choices where to live throughout the four years. Men lived in one dorm, women in the other. We survived.